Monday 9 November 2015

Prop Practical

In every single realistic film created props are used. Props are anything used by the actors on set and during the running off the film. This could be something like a basketball if it was a sport film like in high school musicale, or a gun in a army film like saving private Ryan. This means we will have to use props in our opening sequence. I looked into slasher film props as these interest me the most. Something that I found interesting was body parts and how they would make them look realistic if they are dethatched by the body.
 



 
I went on YouTube and watched some videos on how to make realistic props and body parts that are used in the movie industry. I practiced and gained many skills around what I have learnt as was able to produce a quite lifelike hand which could be used as prop in a slasher film. How I did this was gathered up the resources I needed to design and sculpt it. I used mod rock to form the hand on my own hand. I first formed the fingers and thumb and then rapped more mod rock around my hand and wrist. After all off these had dried I added mod rock between the gaps so it looked like a formed hand rather the a hand with no fingers. Then I filled it up with tissue paper and glue to form a paper mashie. After this I waited for it all to dry and when it became hard I dipped it into liquid latex. This would give it more of a skinny texture. Afters this had dried I covered it in fake blood to make it look like a zombie hand or dead hand in dark lighted areas.
 
 
 
 
This is what it looks like up close. I think it is quite well made but if I where to do it again I would use a colour that looks more like skin colour.    





I also took some pictures off the hands in a more eerie light and edited it so that it looked spooky and serial and this what I came out with at the end. Overall I think this prop will be very effective if we use it in our final piece. If I where to do it again I would add in a stage in the making art and ether use paint or real make up to make a skin tone for the hand so it looks like an actual severed hand. 

 



No comments:

Post a Comment