Tuesday 17 November 2015

Props

Props 
The most common props used in horror movies is teddies or toys as they are easier to make sinister and can do things without special effects such as being hung. They can be manipulated and pulled apart so what originally was a nice teddy bear can look horrific in the dark with eyes that follow you round the room. 
With this in mind I went out to find a normal teddy bear an I found this one it had a love heart attached with no writing on its head. I thought that it would look awful as it would look too loving and caring however that quickly changed when I had the idea of hanging it from the dark attic.
This would make the bear look sinister as it feel with a noose around its head. If unexpected then the reaction would be very real. 
Hangman's knot hanging from ladder in the attic 

Close up of knot around its neck
However I had a problem of not knowing how to make a hangman's not and make it look good. So I looked up a youtube video of how to make one and learnt how to do it with a rope I found in the attic as well. When tied I was apprehensive to see if the bear would just break the rope as it started to thread and come loose. However, it worked and looked all too realistic.
The problems i had with this is that to adjust the lighting every time on my camera and as it was already too dark the shutter speed had to be toned down to 20 frames per second to capture the most amount of light. That is why the picture is so blurry because the bear kept on spinning round and round and combined with a high capture time can make a lot of motion blur.  


With flash on an 1/4000 frames per second
To counter this is could turn on the flash and increase the shutter speed to around 1/4000 or 1/3600 frames per second to counter the bright light from the flash however would have to change the light around again.


To film needs a spotlight to display the bear swinging in the dark this will make the scene scary and very sinister. The sound clip would need to be film with a low angle to capture the whole singing motion but needs to be close enough to hear the knot constricting as the bear falls so would need utter silence and as my camera doesn't have a pop filter you can hear sound in the background even if it is as quiet as possible.
This may mean I loose the knot sound as I cancel out the background noise.

Final Product

This is a little dark when put onto the mac even though I used to spotlights to make the bear seem illuminated in the dark.
To improve I would make the bear be seen in the dark by putting a light in front of the camera instead of next to the bear. I used a good line (low angle) of sight as I could see the bear being dropped and swinging in the air.
I would also maybe film a normal shot of it in the light and then decrease the exposure on the editing software to make everything dark thus making it more realistic something that I have never thought of doing so. Gaining a new skill in the process.



No comments:

Post a Comment