Monday 16 November 2015

Typography Practical

All films and TV programs have a title. This title has to be displayed within the first few minutes of the sequence. These titles are always very different and can be linked into the genre of the cinematic piece. This means we need to make one for our short opening sequence or credits. These are two titles for different films and TV shows.


American Horror Story Hotel: This title is an eerie red colour which sets a creepy tone in he title. It also is in san sheriff writing so the endings of the words are cut off. The letters are also in block capitals so make the name stand out. The letters also look like they are made out of neon bars which refers to the Hotel.
 Narcos: The title of this urban drama is Narcos. The Letters are block capitals so stand out. The background to the title is off the location it is set which is in Columbia. The letters are also cut off and don't flow so it shows the bold importance of the title.


These titles are very effective and give the viewer insight to the media and sequence they are about to show. I experimented with some pictures and a basic picture editor and came up with a title. I called it  insomnia. I called it this because sleep can be made into a big factor when it comes to horror. The typography I used is also effective. I used broken up letters so show horror aspects off the film. The background of the title I used was a blood splatter which clearly links to the horror slasher genre. When making the title I used shapes to spell out the words I wanted. I then layered a background on to it so the title has depth. I then lowered the opacity off the pictures and then put a fade around the edges and this is what it looks like.

 


If I where to do this again I would use an actual editing software. Something like gimp or photo shop this would make a much more professional looking title. This was good practice for when I do the real thing and this gives me ideas on what I can do better in the future to make the best title possible.

No comments:

Post a Comment